facebook
twitter
search
search

Judge won't separate trials in Naval Academy rape case

Sept. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

ANNAPOLIS, Md., Sept. 1 (UPI) -- A U.S military judge Sunday refused to separate the trials of three former Naval Academy football players charged with rape.

Navy Cmdr. Robert Monahan refused a defense request to halt the current proceedings against the trio in favor of separate trials for each defendant.

The Washington Post said Monahan made his ruling prior to the resumption of testimony from the alleged victim, a senior midshipman who alleged the three defendants assaulted her at an alcohol-fueled off-campus party in 2012.

The victim has testified she was drunk at the time and did not recall having sex with the defendants; however she was the subject of campus rumors to that effect in the following days.

The judge agreed Sunday to adjourn no later than 6 p.m. EDT. The woman, whose name was not released, had been on the stand for 20 hours prior to Sunday's proceedings and was complaining of exhaustion, the Post said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Texas man killed in apparent alligator attack
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
North Korean biochemical weapons researcher defects to Europe
Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm