facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Federal gov't allocates $2.5 million for Sandy Hook massacre costs

Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM   |   Comments

WASHINGTON, Aug. 28 (UPI) -- The federal government will give Connecticut $2.5 million to offset costs related to the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, Eric Holder said Wednesday.

The U.S. attorney general said the money from the Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Assistance will go to the Connecticut State Police, the Newtown, Conn., Police Department and other local agencies that provided assistance following last year's deadly shooting spree in Newtown. The allocation will cover overtime, forensics and security work.

"Providing support to the law enforcement agencies that responded to the horrific scene that awaited them at Sandy Hook Elementary School is one small action we can take to bring healing to a community that's been devastated," Holder said in a release. "Just over eight months after this senseless tragedy, those who lost their lives, and those who continue to grieve, remain in our thoughts and prayers."

Twenty-six children and adults were killed by the gunman, Adam Lanza, who also killed his mother and himself.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Hamas executes 18 it claims are Israeli informers, takes credit for kidnapping Israeli teens
2
Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims' bodies arrive in Kuala Lumpur
3
Jodi Arias granted delay in death penalty retrial
4
4 firefighters injured in 'Ice Bucket Challenge'
5
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback