facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Four State Department workers cleared of fault in 2012 Benghazi attack

Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
WASHINGTON, Aug. 20 (UPI) -- Four State Department employees put on leave after terrorist attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, have been cleared, the department says.

The four had been put on administrative leave in December by then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton after the September attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Secretary of State John Kerry has reassigned the four employees following a review by the Accountability Review Board that was set up after the attack, NBC News reported Tuesday.

The four individuals were criticized in the board's report.

When Kerry took over Clinton's post in February, he asked top-level department officials to review the board's finding, a senior State Department official said in a statement.

"After consideration, he reaffirmed its findings that no employee breached their duty or should be fired but rather that some should be reassigned."

The decision to move the Benghazi consulate workers to other areas within the department was made to "continue to turn the page and shift the paradigm inside the department," the official said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Madeleine McCann report finds authorities hindered investigation
2
Obama approval rating hits record low in blue California
3
Iran boasts of nuclear energy potential
4
Mary Landrieu hit with residency, ethics complaints
5
Islamic State allegedly beheads second American journalist
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback