BOSTON, Aug. 20 (UPI) -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev suffered severe, multiple gunshots before his capture in April, newly released court documents indicate.
The testimony of Stephen Ray Odom, a trauma surgeon who treated Tsarnaev, said the most severe was a "high-powered injury" to Tsarnaev's face, CNN reported Tuesday.
Odom's testimony, unsealed Monday, indicated the bullet apparently enter through the left side of the mouth and exited on the lower left side of the face, injuring the "middle ear, the skull base, ... his ... vertebrae ... as well as injury to the pharynx, [and] the mouth," CNN reported.
Odom's testimony, unsealed Monday, did not indicate whether the 20-year-old Tsarnaev inflicted the wound on himself or suffered it during a police showdown when he was found April 19 in the backyard of Watertown, Mass., home following a massive manhunt in the Boston area.
Another document made public Monday said a "public safety exception" allowed federal agents to speak with the seriously wounded Tsarnaev for nearly two days without reading him his rights. The document shows he was read his Miranda rights in the hospital April 22.
Tsarnaev is charged with killing four people -- three spectators who died in the April 15 twin bombings near the Boston Marathon finish line and a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer ambushed later. At least 264 people were wounded in the double bombings.
His older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, also accused in the attacks, was killed when the younger brother ran over him as police were trying to handcuff him, officials said.
Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges.
CNN said it learned Tsarnaev admitted to the acts, and he and his brother acted alone. Since then, sources said, he has stopped talking with the government.