facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Girl suffers fatal allergic reaction after eating peanut butter

July 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM   |   Comments

SACRAMENTO, July 31 (UPI) -- A teenage girl on a family vacation at a California summer camp died from a severe allergic reaction to peanuts, her relatives said.

Natalie Giorgi, 13, of Carmichael died Friday, the last day of a family outing, at Camp Sacramento in El Dorado County.

She was careful about what she ate because of her allergy to nuts, but unwittingly bit into a Rice Krispies-style dessert containing peanut butter, from a food tray at the camp, KXTV-TV, Sacramento, reported.

She spat out the snack after one bite, and within 20 minutes began vomiting, had trouble breathing and went into cardiac arrest. Three epinephrine pens were used but could not save her, a family friend said.

The family issued a statement after Natalie's death, hoping "others can learn from this and realize that food and nut allergies are life-threatening."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Russia prepares militarization of Arctic Russia prepares militarization of Arctic
2
Texas cheer coach Ashley Zehnder faces sex charge for sleeping with a student and sending nude sexts Texas cheer coach Ashley Zehnder faces sex charge for sleeping with a student and sending nude sexts
3
Freedom variant LCS takes to water Freedom variant LCS takes to water
4
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder officially bans sales of Tesla Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder officially bans sales of Tesla
5
Missing college student Connor Trapatsos spotted on surveillance video Missing college student Connor Trapatsos spotted on surveillance video
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback