facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Girl suffers fatal allergic reaction after eating peanut butter

July 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM   |   Comments

SACRAMENTO, July 31 (UPI) -- A teenage girl on a family vacation at a California summer camp died from a severe allergic reaction to peanuts, her relatives said.

Natalie Giorgi, 13, of Carmichael died Friday, the last day of a family outing, at Camp Sacramento in El Dorado County.

She was careful about what she ate because of her allergy to nuts, but unwittingly bit into a Rice Krispies-style dessert containing peanut butter, from a food tray at the camp, KXTV-TV, Sacramento, reported.

She spat out the snack after one bite, and within 20 minutes began vomiting, had trouble breathing and went into cardiac arrest. Three epinephrine pens were used but could not save her, a family friend said.

The family issued a statement after Natalie's death, hoping "others can learn from this and realize that food and nut allergies are life-threatening."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
4
Alleged jihadist charged with killing 4 in Washington, N.J.
5
Granite head of Lenin stays unexcavated, Berlin senate says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback