Federal Aviation Administration officials and investigators from the Boeing Co. determined the fire on a 787 at Heathrow airport in London was likely caused by the incorrect installation of a small lithium ion battery inside an electronic device, The Seattle Times reported Wednesday.
It added that British investigators noted wires connecting the battery, made by Honeywell, to an Emergency Locator Transmitter were trapped and pinched.
Boeing said it issued a service bulletin to operators, instructing them to either remove or inspect the wires, and expects a similar directive to be issued next week by the FAA.
The fire on the Ethiopian Airlines 787 caused heat damage on the ceiling at the back of the passenger cabin, and scorched some of the plane's exterior carbon-fiber skin, the newspaper said.
Ohio crash that killed two caught on camera [VIDEO]
Couple calls 9-1-1 over missing hash browns; assault McDonanld's employees