facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Mississippi River reopened to traffic after tugboat sinks

July 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM   |   Comments

NEW ORLEANS, July 8 (UPI) -- The U.S. Coast Guard said late Sunday it reopened a 10-mile stretch of the Mississippi River near New Orleans that had been closed after a tugboat sank.

The area above Head of Passes was deemed to be safe for navigation, The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune reported.

"Survey operations are ongoing in an effort to locate the sunken 48-foot tug boat C-Pec between mile marker eight and Head of Passes," the Coast Guard said in a release.

The Coast Guard said it was still trying to determine why the tug capsized and sank Saturday, the newspaper said. Two people aboard the tug were rescued.

The closure created a bottleneck for dozens of cargo and other vessels heading up and down the river.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
France holds up delivery of warships to Russia France holds up delivery of warships to Russia
2
Police suspect poisoning in death of Utah family Police suspect poisoning in death of Utah family
3
Navy SEAL who claims to be Bin Laden's shooter to reveal identity on Fox News Navy SEAL who claims to be Bin Laden's shooter to reveal identity on Fox News
4
Hawaii lava update: 100 feet from home, National Guard deployed Hawaii lava update: 100 feet from home, National Guard deployed
5
Kaci Hickox won't obey Maine Ebola quarantine, state may go to court Kaci Hickox won't obey Maine Ebola quarantine, state may go to court
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback