Mississippi River reopened to traffic after tugboat sinks

July 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM

NEW ORLEANS, July 8 (UPI) -- The U.S. Coast Guard said late Sunday it reopened a 10-mile stretch of the Mississippi River near New Orleans that had been closed after a tugboat sank.

The area above Head of Passes was deemed to be safe for navigation, The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune reported.

"Survey operations are ongoing in an effort to locate the sunken 48-foot tug boat C-Pec between mile marker eight and Head of Passes," the Coast Guard said in a release.

The Coast Guard said it was still trying to determine why the tug capsized and sank Saturday, the newspaper said. Two people aboard the tug were rescued.

The closure created a bottleneck for dozens of cargo and other vessels heading up and down the river.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more news from UPI.com
Related UPI Stories
share with facebook
share with twitter
Trending Stories