facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Las Vegas-area wildfire chars 14,000 acres, forces 500 to evacuate

July 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM   |   Comments

LAS VEGAS, July 6 (UPI) -- A wildfire had burned 14,100 acres and forced more than 500 people out of their homes in the Las Vegas area Saturday, officials said.

KTNV-TV, Las Vegas, reported the army of firefighters trying to get the Carpenter One fire on Mount Charleston under control was to expand to more than 600 strong by Saturday evening.

Tony Demasters, deputy incident commander, told the TV station there had been "no accidents, no injuries, no structures lost at this time" in the region endangered by the blaze.

"Those are days we can consider success," he said.

The Carpenter One fire was started by a lightning strike Monday, KLAS-TV, Las Vegas, reported.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Train hits SUV in southern Illinois, 3 dead Train hits SUV in southern Illinois, 3 dead
2
Costa Rica's Turrialba volcano erupts Costa Rica's Turrialba volcano erupts
3
Ex-Navy SEAL probed over bin Laden revelations Ex-Navy SEAL probed over bin Laden revelations
4
Iraq's Kurdish Peshmerga arrive in Kobane, Syria to help fight Islamic State Iraq's Kurdish Peshmerga arrive in Kobane, Syria to help fight Islamic State
5
Britain to pay off some World War I debt Britain to pay off some World War I debt
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback