Las Vegas-area wildfire chars 14,000 acres, forces 500 to evacuate

July 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

LAS VEGAS, July 6 (UPI) -- A wildfire had burned 14,100 acres and forced more than 500 people out of their homes in the Las Vegas area Saturday, officials said.

KTNV-TV, Las Vegas, reported the army of firefighters trying to get the Carpenter One fire on Mount Charleston under control was to expand to more than 600 strong by Saturday evening.

Tony Demasters, deputy incident commander, told the TV station there had been "no accidents, no injuries, no structures lost at this time" in the region endangered by the blaze.

"Those are days we can consider success," he said.

The Carpenter One fire was started by a lightning strike Monday, KLAS-TV, Las Vegas, reported.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Nobel Prize in Chemistry awarded to DNA cell repair pioneers
Priest suspended after defending pedophilia in TV interview
U.S. asks how Islamic State militants got so many Toyotas
At least 17 dead in Carolinas, more flooding expected
NASA releases thousands of Apollo mission photos on Flickr