facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Las Vegas-area wildfire chars 14,000 acres, forces 500 to evacuate

July 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM   |   Comments

LAS VEGAS, July 6 (UPI) -- A wildfire had burned 14,100 acres and forced more than 500 people out of their homes in the Las Vegas area Saturday, officials said.

KTNV-TV, Las Vegas, reported the army of firefighters trying to get the Carpenter One fire on Mount Charleston under control was to expand to more than 600 strong by Saturday evening.

Tony Demasters, deputy incident commander, told the TV station there had been "no accidents, no injuries, no structures lost at this time" in the region endangered by the blaze.

"Those are days we can consider success," he said.

The Carpenter One fire was started by a lightning strike Monday, KLAS-TV, Las Vegas, reported.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
U.S. airstrikes succeeding in cutting oil financing for Islamic State U.S. airstrikes succeeding in cutting oil financing for Islamic State
2
California officer allegedly stole nude photos during arrest California officer allegedly stole nude photos during arrest
3
New submarine set for commissioning New submarine set for commissioning
4
[UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot [UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot
5
Lumberton grandpa shoots granddaughter's would-be rapist Lumberton grandpa shoots granddaughter's would-be rapist
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback