facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Las Vegas-area wildfire chars 14,000 acres, forces 500 to evacuate

July 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM   |   Comments

LAS VEGAS, July 6 (UPI) -- A wildfire had burned 14,100 acres and forced more than 500 people out of their homes in the Las Vegas area Saturday, officials said.

KTNV-TV, Las Vegas, reported the army of firefighters trying to get the Carpenter One fire on Mount Charleston under control was to expand to more than 600 strong by Saturday evening.

Tony Demasters, deputy incident commander, told the TV station there had been "no accidents, no injuries, no structures lost at this time" in the region endangered by the blaze.

"Those are days we can consider success," he said.

The Carpenter One fire was started by a lightning strike Monday, KLAS-TV, Las Vegas, reported.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
4
4 firefighters injured in 'Ice Bucket Challenge'
5
Hamas executes 11 it claims are Israeli informers, takes credit for kidnapping Israeli teens
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback