facebook
twitter
search
search

Man loses arm in explosion of homemade fireworks

July 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

AKRON, Ohio, July 3 (UPI) -- An Akron, Ohio, man was critically injured by homemade fireworks that accidentally detonated in his hands, police said.

Kevin Skubic, 34, bought the fireworks Monday night at the West Akron home of Wayne Jones, 65, and they went off as Skubic carried them to his truck. He lost an arm in the blast, and is at risk of losing his other arm and one eye, police said, adding he also suffered severe burns.

Neighbors said the explosion sounded like a bomb blast.

The detonation shattered windows in at least two neighboring homes and the windshield of Skubic's truck, parked in Jones' driveway, WKYC-TV, Cleveland, reported.

Jones was arrested and charged with manufacturing explosives and other related crimes.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Rapper DMX found unconscious, revived by New York police
Alaska woman claims McDonald's Happy Meal hasn't aged in six years
N.H. primary polls open: Kasich, Sanders get early leads
5 Reasons why Denver Broncos won't be repeat champions
Exposure to flashing light may prevent jet lag