facebook
twitter
search
search

Man loses arm in explosion of homemade fireworks

July 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

AKRON, Ohio, July 3 (UPI) -- An Akron, Ohio, man was critically injured by homemade fireworks that accidentally detonated in his hands, police said.

Kevin Skubic, 34, bought the fireworks Monday night at the West Akron home of Wayne Jones, 65, and they went off as Skubic carried them to his truck. He lost an arm in the blast, and is at risk of losing his other arm and one eye, police said, adding he also suffered severe burns.

Neighbors said the explosion sounded like a bomb blast.

The detonation shattered windows in at least two neighboring homes and the windshield of Skubic's truck, parked in Jones' driveway, WKYC-TV, Cleveland, reported.

Jones was arrested and charged with manufacturing explosives and other related crimes.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Walgreens to sell heroin overdose antidote naloxone without prescription
Hospital mortality drops with lower patient-to-nurse ratio
Kanye West under fire after Bill Cosby tweet
Plus-size model Ashley Graham nabs Sports Illustrated swimsuit spread
IKEA issues recall after glass ceiling lamps crash to ground