facebook
twitter
search
search

Man loses arm in explosion of homemade fireworks

July 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

AKRON, Ohio, July 3 (UPI) -- An Akron, Ohio, man was critically injured by homemade fireworks that accidentally detonated in his hands, police said.

Kevin Skubic, 34, bought the fireworks Monday night at the West Akron home of Wayne Jones, 65, and they went off as Skubic carried them to his truck. He lost an arm in the blast, and is at risk of losing his other arm and one eye, police said, adding he also suffered severe burns.

Neighbors said the explosion sounded like a bomb blast.

The detonation shattered windows in at least two neighboring homes and the windshield of Skubic's truck, parked in Jones' driveway, WKYC-TV, Cleveland, reported.

Jones was arrested and charged with manufacturing explosives and other related crimes.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts