Man dies of cyanide poisoning shortly after conviction for sodomy

July 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

MARYVILLE, Mo., July 3 (UPI) -- A man who died last week after he was convicted on a sodomy charge in Marysville, Mo., ingested cyanide, a preliminary report indicated.

Steve Parsons, 48, of Stanberry, Mo., collapsed into a seizure soon after a Nodaway County jury convicted him of statutory sodomy and but found him innocent of forcible sodomy, the St. Joseph Press-News reported.

Nodaway County Sheriff Darren White said Parsons bought 100 grams of cyanide, the minimum order required by the Virginia company from which he ordered the pills, shipped the order overnight to his business, Parsons Tire & Battery in Maryville, and somehow ingested it in the courtroom.

"The preliminary autopsy reports, they confirm that it was, as the medical examiner put it, 'a classic case of cyanide poisoning,'" he said.

The final autopsy report should be completed later this week, the News-Press reported Monday.

White said Parsons took a drink from a cup he was allowed to bring into the courtroom, KCTV-TV, Kansas City, reported.

Parsons was charged July 20, 2012, in a Gentry County court with second-degree statutory sodomy and forcible sodomy for allegedly engaging in sex with a 17-year-old girl. A change of venue moved the case to Nodaway County, where he was convicted Thursday of the statutory sodomy charge

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Israeli military calls up reserves for surprise drill
Kim Jong Un pays respects to China's fallen soldiers
No reports of injuries after 6.9-magnitude earthquake in Alaska
Boy Scouts of America ends ban on gay leadership
Cleveland police officer filmed pepper-spraying crowd of activists