NEWARK, N.J., July 2 (UPI) -- A 42-year-old man allegedly caught on video beating and robbing a young New Jersey mother during a home invasion pleaded not guilty Tuesday.
Shawn Custis quietly told Newark Superior Court Judge Peter Vazquez he understood the attempted murder, robbery and child endangerment charges against him, and his attorney entered a not-guilty plea on his behalf, The (Newark) Star-Ledger reported.
Custis is accused of entering a Millburn home at midday June 21 and attacking the woman while one of her children watched and another was in an upstairs room.
The posting of the nanny cam video to the Internet helped authorities find Custis.
The newspaper said public records show Custis has a dozen prior felony convictions and had been released in December after doing a stint for four burglaries.
Custis, with his hands cuffed in front of him during the hearing, kept his eyes fixed on the floor as the judge kept his bail at $750,000 and ordered him not to contact the victim, the newspaper said.
Prosecutors declined to say after the hearing whether Custis has made a statement or why he allegedly targeted the quiet upper-middle-class home.