NEW YORK, June 30 (UPI) -- A gunman who opened fire on a crowd of party-goers outside a home in New York City, remained at large Sunday, police said. At least eight people were wounded.
Accounts of the number of wounded in the 1 a.m. attack varied. The New York Daily News reporting there were four men and four women wounded, while WNBC-TV, New York, reported nine victims, including five women and four men. The youngest victim is 18.
The most seriously injured victim, a woman, was upgraded from critical to stable condition after emergency surgery, police sources told the Daily News.
The newspaper said a 22-year-old man who declined to provide his name said he was approaching the party house when a man started shooting into the approximately 60 people who were gathered on the street.
"A person in the middle of the crowd just started shooting all around, into the crowd," the man said.
"People were screaming. I started running the other way."
A 43-year-old man who lives in the neighborhood said several women who left the party shortly before the shooting told him there had been an altercation inside the home and they feared a crime was about to be committed.
"They were running, they knew something was about to go down," the man said, adding he heard around 10 shots fired minutes later. "That whole place cleared out. They all went running around the corner. It was like a stampede. That place had been packed."
WNBC-TV reported no victim was hit by more than one bullet and all of the victims were expected to recover.
Police said the gunfire erupted after someone was either asked to leave the party or never allowed to enter, the TV station said. It was unclear whether there was more than one shooter, the TV station said.