Phone threat prompts evacuation of Richmond, Va., airport

June 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM   |   Comments

RICHMOND, Va., June 11 (UPI) -- A phone threat led to the evacuation of Richmond, Va., International Airport, delaying flights and stranding hundreds of travelers Tuesday, the airport said.

Airport spokesman Troy Bell told the Richmond Times-Dispatch the facility received a phone call of a threatening nature soon after shortly after 6 a.m. EDT, and the terminal was cleared.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Thomas J. Molnar said the threat was determined to be credible, and federal, state and local law enforcement officers responded. Canine units assisted in a search of the airport terminal and the parking garages.

Bell said the terminal was reopened at about 9:25 a.m. EDT to airline workers. Public access would soon follow, he said.

"It's remarkably quiet and calm," traveler Trudi Allcott, an employee of medical supply company Owens & Minor Inc. who was flying to Los Angeles, told the Times-Dispatch. "I'd say everybody's being really patient."

At least 12 flights scheduled for departure were delayed and a smaller number of arrivals were delayed as well, the newspaper said.

Molnar said all flights were being held except for five flights permitted to land. They were held on the tarmac.

Topics: State Police
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
Texas man on trial for 'public execution' of drunk driver
Northrop Grumman developing reusable space plane for lifting spacecraft into orbit
American photojournalist James Wright Foley executed by Islamic State
Britain pardons World War II code-breaker castrated for homosexuality
White House: Intel agencies examinig Islamic State execution video
Trending News