facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Defense backs off of statements on Trayvon Martin fight video

June 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM   |   Comments

SANFORD, Fla., June 3 (UPI) -- Attorneys for the Florida man accused of killing an unarmed teen have backtracked on their statements about a video of a fight found on the teen's cellphone.

In a statement issued Sunday, Mark O'Mara, representing George Zimmerman, apologized for saying video on Trayvon Martin's cellphone was the Miami Gardens teen recording two friends beating up a homeless man, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Rather, he said it showed a video that recorded two homeless men fighting over a bicycle. Martin and a friend happened upon the fight and he only recorded it, the statement said.

"We have been committed to disputing misinformation in every aspect of this case, not causing it," the statement said.

Two weeks ago, the video was among evidence O'Mara's office notified prosecutors it may use at Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, scheduled to begin June 10 in Sanford.

Martin was the unarmed 17-year-old shot and killed last year in Sanford by Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. Zimmerman, a Hispanic American, said his actions were justified under the state's stand your ground law because he acted in self-defense because the teenager attacked him.

Prosecutors say Zimmerman profiled the black teenager.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
2
Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier
3
Kentucky firefighter injured in ice bucket challenge dies Kentucky firefighter injured in ice bucket challenge dies
4
Sister shoots and kills brother to protect father Sister shoots and kills brother to protect father
5
40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike 40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback