In a statement issued Sunday, Mark O'Mara, representing George Zimmerman, apologized for saying video on Trayvon Martin's cellphone was the Miami Gardens teen recording two friends beating up a homeless man, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Rather, he said it showed a video that recorded two homeless men fighting over a bicycle. Martin and a friend happened upon the fight and he only recorded it, the statement said.
"We have been committed to disputing misinformation in every aspect of this case, not causing it," the statement said.
Two weeks ago, the video was among evidence O'Mara's office notified prosecutors it may use at Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, scheduled to begin June 10 in Sanford.
Martin was the unarmed 17-year-old shot and killed last year in Sanford by Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. Zimmerman, a Hispanic American, said his actions were justified under the state's stand your ground law because he acted in self-defense because the teenager attacked him.
Prosecutors say Zimmerman profiled the black teenager.