facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Seton Hall University bomb threat turns out to be bogus

May 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM   |   Comments

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J., May 30 (UPI) -- A bomb threat that prompted the evacuation of the sparsely populated Seton Hall University campus in New Jersey Thursday was bogus, authorities said.

There were only about 100 students on the South Orange campus because the semester ended earlier this month.

Essex County Sheriff Armando Fontoura said officers spent more than 2 hours combing the 15 buildings at Seton Hall but found no explosives, The (Newark) Star-Ledger reported.

The sheriff said the search was triggered by a 3:30 p.m. Facebook posting that said bombs had been planted in every building, the newspaper said. Investigators had yet to determine who posted the threat.

"We did the sweep and everything is cool and copacetic," Fontoura said. "It was time consuming and these things are costly and they shrink our resources down, but unfortunately we get more than our fair share of these."

Topics: Seton Hall
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Oregon girl dies at beach after sand pit collapse
2
At least 6 dead in Paris apartment explosion
3
Ukraine warns of "full-scale war"
4
Malaysia Airlines cuts fares after disasters
5
Israel claims West Bank acreage for development
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback