UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Obama administration confirms 4 Americans killed by U.S. drones

  |
 
UPI/Mark Wilson/Pool
UPI/Mark Wilson/Pool 
License photo
Published: May 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM

WASHINGTON, May 22 (UPI) -- The Obama administration said Wednesday U.S. drones killed four Americans in airstrikes in Yemen and Pakistan.

The disclosure came in a letter U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder sent to congressional leaders, The New York Times reported.

Holder said the administration deliberately targeted Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical Muslim cleric and American citizen killed in a drone strike in September 2011 in Yemen. The letter said U.S. drones also killed U.S. citizens Samir Khan, who died in the same strike; Awlaki's son Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, who also died in Yemen; and Jude Mohammed, who died in a strike in Pakistan, but they were "not specifically targeted," Holder wrote.

The newspaper noted the disclosure came the day before President Obama is to make a major speech on national security issues.

Holder said last year the administration maintains it is legal to target American citizens deemed to be operational terrorists, who pose an "imminent threat of violent attack" and whose capture is infeasible. The legal rationale also was presented in an unclassified white paper given to Congress last year and became public this year.

Holder's letter said it wasn't Awlaki's words urging violent attacks against Americans that led the United States send its drones after him but his direct involvement in planning attacks.

Holder alleged Awlaki planned the attempted bombing of a Detroit-bound airliner on Dec. 25, 2009, and played a key role in an October 2010 plot to bomb cargo planes bound for the United States, the Times said.

"Moreover, information that remains classified to protect sensitive sources and methods evidences Awlaki's involvement in the planning of numerous other plots against U.S. and Western interests and makes clear he was continuing to plot attacks when he was killed," Holder wrote.

"The decision to target Anwar al-Awlaki was lawful, it was considered, and it was just."

Topics: Eric Holder, Barack Obama, Anwar al-Awlaki, Ed White
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Shepherds guide 2,000 sheep through Madrid, Spain, and hope their attempt to save ancient herding...
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...