UPI en Espanol
facebook
twitter
account
search
search

CNN says Libya mission attackers targeted

May 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, May 17 (UPI) -- The U.S. military has updated its plan for capturing the reputed terrorists who carried out the Sept. 11 attack on the consulate in Benghazi, sources told CNN.

Details of the proposed strategy were not revealed but sources said the list of potential targets inside Libya was updated as recently as last week.

The Obama administration has been under increasing pressure to track down the attackers, believed to be linked to al-Qaida, who overran the compound last fall and killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

The current course of action includes a "capture or kill" operation that could involve U.S. troops entering Libya in some form, the sources said.

Other sources said there had been no orders given to commence an operation, and there were concerns among planners that a U.S. raid could damage the fledgling Libyan government that overthrew Moammar Gadhafi. It was unclear if the Libyans would be involved in any operation by the Americans.

Related UPI Stories
Top Stories
Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio requests new judge and public assistance with legal fees
New Orleans police officer fatally shot in patrol car
Islamic State says it can soon buy nuclear weapon, smuggle it into U.S.
Landslide in Nepal blocks Kali Gandaki River, threatens flooding
Generator in basement causes carbon monoxide poisioning in five Pennsylvania homes