facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

CNN says Libya mission attackers targeted

May 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM   |   Comments

| License Photo
WASHINGTON, May 17 (UPI) -- The U.S. military has updated its plan for capturing the reputed terrorists who carried out the Sept. 11 attack on the consulate in Benghazi, sources told CNN.

Details of the proposed strategy were not revealed but sources said the list of potential targets inside Libya was updated as recently as last week.

The Obama administration has been under increasing pressure to track down the attackers, believed to be linked to al-Qaida, who overran the compound last fall and killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

The current course of action includes a "capture or kill" operation that could involve U.S. troops entering Libya in some form, the sources said.

Other sources said there had been no orders given to commence an operation, and there were concerns among planners that a U.S. raid could damage the fledgling Libyan government that overthrew Moammar Gadhafi. It was unclear if the Libyans would be involved in any operation by the Americans.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Ailina Tsarnaev, Boston Marathon bomber's sister, arrested over alleged bomb threat
2
Major general stripped of title over handling of sexual abuse allegation
3
Syrian militants seize Golan Heights border crossing
4
Texas man acquitted of killing man who killed his sons in DUI
5
Canada offers Russia and 'Not Russia' a geography lesson
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback