CLEVELAND, May 15 (UPI) -- The media's portrayal of Ariel Castro, accused of snatching three women and holding them captive for a decade, is wrong, his lawyers told WKYC-TV, Cleveland.
"The initial portrayal by the media has been one of a 'monster' and that's not the impression that I got when I talked to him for 3 hours," Craig Weintraub said. "I know that family members who have been interviewed by the media have expressed that as well."
Onil Castro was quoted by CNN as saying he hopes his brother "rots in that jail."
"The monster is a goner," he said.
"I don't even want them to take his life like that. I want him to suffer in that jail to the last extent. I don't care if they even feed him. What he has done to my life and my family's."
The 52-year-old suspect is in the Cuyahoga County Jail on charges of kidnapping and raping Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus. Knight was reported missing in 2002, Berry in 2003 and DeJesus in 2004. The women, along with a child, were rescued from his house in Cleveland last week.
DNA tests confirmed Castro fathered a child with Berry, state officials said.
Attorneys Weintraub and Jaye Schlachet said Castro will plead "not guilty to all charges" if a grand jury indicts him, WKYC-TV said.
Police sources told the Cleveland television station last week Castro provided detectives with precise details about the abductions. Castro also told police he was addicted to sex and lacked impulse control, the sources said.
Weintraub said Castro, currently in isolation under a suicide watch, has not admitted anything to him.
"That fact will be disclosed as the case progresses," Weintraub told WKYC. "I am aware of how he came into contact with them."
"I can tell you that Mr. Castro is extremely committed to the well being and positive future for his daughter, who he loves dearly," Schlachet said. "And if people find that to be a disconnect from what he's alleged to have done, then the people will just have to deal with it. We just know how he feels about his little girl."
The attorneys say they will present the "best defense we can." They said they took the case to ensure Castro gets a fair trial and are considering seeking a change of venue.