UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Jury sentences Texas courthouse shooter to death

|
 
Published: May 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

BEAUMONT, Texas, May 8 (UPI) -- Bartholomew Granger, who killed a woman when he opened fire on a courthouse in Beaumont, Texas, last year, was sentenced to death by a Galveston County jury.

During testimony Tuesday, Judge Bob Wortham admitted into evidence a legal pad with the word "death" on it that the 42-year-old Granger held up to the jurors, the Beaumont Enterprise reported.

Granger, of Houston, was found guilty of capital murder last week in the fatal shooting of Minnie Ray Sebolt, 79, of Deweyville, killed when Granger opened fire on the Jefferson County Courthouse March 14, 2012. Three others, including Granger's daughter and her mother, were injured.

He was firing at the women for testifying against him in a child sexual assault trial.

Wortham asked bailiffs Tuesday to gag Granger because he repeatedly spoke out during a victim impact statement given by Sebolt's daughter, Deborah Holst. Granger yelled he did not kill Sebolt, the Enterprise said.

The judge denied a request by Granger attorney James Makin to remove Granger to a cell where he could listen to the statement. Wortham said by law Holst had a right to deliver her message to Granger face to face.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
Radioactive products from the last century: toothpaste, chocolate, suppositories. What were we thinking?...
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army