UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Activist to start fund to ship marathon bombing suspect's body home

|
 
A SWAT team vehicle moves along a Boston street during the search for suspects in April 15, 2013, bombings at the Boston Marathon. UPI/Matthew Healey
A SWAT team vehicle moves along a Boston street during the search for suspects in April 15, 2013, bombings at the Boston Marathon. UPI/Matthew Healey 
License photo
Published: May 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

WORCESTER, Mass., May 6 (UPI) -- An activist in Worcester, Mass., said he will set up a fund to send the body of suspected Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev back to his homeland.

William Breault said shipping Tsarnaev's body to Kyrgyzstan, or Russia's Dagestan region where his parents live, costs $3,000 to $7,000, The (Worcester) Telegram and Gazette reported.

"I don't look at it as I'm helping his family," Breault said before formally announcing the fund Monday. "I look at it as I'm helping the citizens of Boston, Worcester and this state move on from this problem."

Breault said he has contacted Rep. James P. McGovern, D-Mass., asking him to contact Secretary of State John Kerry about the issue.

Tsarnaev, 26, and his 19-year-old brother, Dzhokhar, are accused of detonating two bombs at the Boston Marathon finish line April 15, killing three people and wounding hundreds of others. The brothers also are accused of killing Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police officer Sean Collier.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a shootout early April 19. His brother was captured in Watertown, Mass., later that day following a massive manhunt. The younger Tsarnaev is facing several charges in federal court.

The older brother's body is at Graham Putnam & Mahoney Funeral Parlors. Owner Peter Stefan said he had been been unable to find a cemetery willing to accept the body.

"We don't want him buried here in the city," Breault said.

Protesters have demonstrated outside the funeral home since Friday, The Telegram and Gazette said.

"Why should we accept somebody who is accused of a terrorist act?" Breault said. "It is unacceptable. The spotlight being put on this is wrong. We become the victims now."

Breault said he didn't think he'd have any problems raising the money. If the fund takes in more than is needed, he said, it would be donated to Boston's One Fund, established "to help the people most affected" by the marathon bombings.

Topics: John Kerry, Boston Marathon bombing
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now