UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Report: Yemeni al-Qaida members took part in Benghazi attack

|
 
Published: May 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM

WASHINGTON, May 2 (UPI) -- Yemeni members of an al-Qaida branch participated in the attack on a diplomatic mission in which the U.S. ambassador to Libya was killed, a U.S. official said.

Citing several sources it did not identify, CNN reported Thursday "three or four members of al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula" took part in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack in Benghazi, Libya, in which Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other U.S. citizens were killed.

A second source CNN said had been briefed on the Benghazi investigation said Western intelligence agencies suspect AQAP may have sent the men to Libya to carry out the attack but have not ruled out the possibility the men were in Benghazi before the attack and simply took part once it began.

A senior law enforcement source said counter-terrorism officials tracked the men to northern Mali, where they are suspected of having joined up with a group of fighters headed up by Algerian terrorist Moktar Belmoktar but no sign of the men has been seen since then.

Belmoktar has claimed responsibility for the January attack on the In Amenas gas facility in Algeria in which 38 people were reported killed.

Topics: Sept. 11
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo