facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Report: Yemeni al-Qaida members took part in Benghazi attack

May 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM   |   Comments

WASHINGTON, May 2 (UPI) -- Yemeni members of an al-Qaida branch participated in the attack on a diplomatic mission in which the U.S. ambassador to Libya was killed, a U.S. official said.

Citing several sources it did not identify, CNN reported Thursday "three or four members of al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula" took part in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack in Benghazi, Libya, in which Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other U.S. citizens were killed.

A second source CNN said had been briefed on the Benghazi investigation said Western intelligence agencies suspect AQAP may have sent the men to Libya to carry out the attack but have not ruled out the possibility the men were in Benghazi before the attack and simply took part once it began.

A senior law enforcement source said counter-terrorism officials tracked the men to northern Mali, where they are suspected of having joined up with a group of fighters headed up by Algerian terrorist Moktar Belmoktar but no sign of the men has been seen since then.

Belmoktar has claimed responsibility for the January attack on the In Amenas gas facility in Algeria in which 38 people were reported killed.

Topics: Sept. 11
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
4
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
5
Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl prisoner swap
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback