UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Aurora, Colo., massacre suspect's lawyers challenge insanity defense

|
 
Accused movie theater shooter James Holmes (left) made his first court appearance at the Arapahoe County Courthouse with his public defender Tamara Brady July 23, 2012, in Centennial, Colo. According to police, Holmes committed one of the worst mass shootings in American history, killing 12 people and injuring 58 when he opened fire on a movie theater showing the premier of 'The Dark Knight Rises'. UPI/RJ Sangosti/Pool
Accused movie theater shooter James Holmes (left) made his first court appearance at the Arapahoe County Courthouse with his public defender Tamara Brady July 23, 2012, in Centennial, Colo. According to police, Holmes committed one of the worst mass shootings in American history, killing 12 people and injuring 58 when he opened fire on a movie theater showing the premier of 'The Dark Knight Rises'. UPI/RJ Sangosti/Pool 
License photo
Published: April 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM

CENTENNIAL, Colo., April 30 (UPI) -- Attorneys for the man accused in last year's Aurora, Colo., movie theater killing spree have objected to the constitutionality of state's insanity defense.

James Holmes is accused of opening fire in a movie theater July 20, killing 12 people and wounding 70 others. He faces 166 counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder and weapons charges.

Holmes' lawyers said Monday their client "suffers from a serious mental illness," the Los Angeles Times reported.

Defense attorneys have argued unsuccessfully that entering an insanity plea and forcing Holmes to undergo state-ordered psychiatric evaluations jeopardized their client's constitutional rights. The defense said if Holmes were forced to cooperate during the evaluation, what he said could be used against him, violating his right against self-incrimination.

If he didn't cooperate, that lack of cooperation also could be used against Holmes at trial or sentencing and could bar the introduction of expert testimony about Holmes' mental state, the defense said.

Before he stepped aside, Chief District Judge William Sylvester dismissed the defense arguments, but left open the opportunity to revisit the issue because the prosecution hadn't yet announced it would seek the death penalty.

Prosecutor George Brauchler announced April 1 his office would seek the death penalty.

District Judge Carlos Samour Jr., who replaced Sylvester, issued several conditions that must be met before he is satisfied Holmes fully understands what an insanity plea means, the Times said.

In Monday's filing, the defense said Holmes "suffers from a serious mental illness," meaning it may be difficult to know whether he fully understands what's going on because his mental illness may prevent a "plausible grounding in reality."

Samour set a trial date for February. The next pretrial hearing is May 13.

Meanwhile, a federal judge ruled victim lawsuits against the theater's parent company could proceed, but in a narrower scope, the Times said.

U.S. District Judge R. Brooke Jackson ruled April 17 Cinemark USA could be potentially liable for damages under a Colorado law that states landowners are responsible for activities on their property. The judge also said Cinemark could not be found negligent by not better protecting patrons against the mass shooting.

So far, 10 victims sued the theater for unspecified damages.

Topics: James Eagan Holmes
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...