UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

AMA president opposes Guantanamo forced feedings

|
 
Published: April 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM

WASHINGTON, April 30 (UPI) -- The president of the American Medical Association, in a letter to the Pentagon, said he opposes the forced feeding of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The letter to U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel from Dr. Jeremy Lazarus was prompted by reports of hunger strikes at the detention facility where the Pentagon has 166 prisoners, 100 of whom have been on hunger strikes, The Miami Herald reported Tuesday.

Lazarus' letter advised Hagel the AMA took the same position on force-feeding Guantanamo prisoners in 2009 and 2005.

"The AMA has long endorsed the World Medical Association Declaration of Tokyo, which is unequivocal on the point: Where a prisoner refuses nourishment and is considered by a physician as capable of forming an unimpaired and rational judgment concerning the consequences of such as voluntary refusal of nourishment, he or she shall not be fed artificially," the letter reads in part.

At Guantanamo U.S. Army Lt. Col. Samuel House said no changes in procedure have been made.

"We will not allow a detainee to starve themselves to death ... detainees are given a choice: eat a hot meal, drink the supplement [Ensure or similar product] or be enteral fed," he said, a reference to nasogastric tube feedings.

Topics: Chuck Hagel
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
It's confirmed, the TCNJ student that last month left her purse for identification on the George...
Fark Food Thread: How do you make the most of seasonal fruit? Is there a recipe you wait all year...
US government shuts down access to files for 3D printed gun. At least, that's what they think they've...
When you're walking from your trailer park to Radio Shack, make sure no locomotives sneak up behind...
One of the last bastions of manliness for American husbands, the Craftsman power tool is now the...
Photoshop this hair-raising situation