UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Justice Department employees no longer facing furloughs

|
 
The Department of Justice is seen in Washington on February 20, 2011. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg
The Department of Justice is seen in Washington on February 20, 2011. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg 
License photo
Published: April 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

WASHINGTON, April 25 (UPI) -- U.S. Justice Department employees will not face furloughs this fiscal year, escaping the fate of other government employees, Attorney General Eric Holder said.

About 116,000 Justice Department employees received notice Wednesday from the attorney general that they would not be forced to take up to 22 unpaid days that they were previously warned about, The Washington Post reported.

Holder said that the Justice Department took "aggressive steps" to cut costs since the budget cuts known as sequestration took effect, allowing him to avoid furloughs for the department.

"This action means that thousands of critical FBI and ATF agents, deputy U.S. marshals, prosecutors and other department employees will remain on the job protecting national security, fighting violent crime and enforcing our laws," Holder wrote.

However, Holder told the employees that if sequestration continues into the next fiscal year, which starts Oct. 1, "furloughs are a distinct possibility."

Topics: Eric Holder
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
Radioactive products from the last century: toothpaste, chocolate, suppositories. What were we thinking?...
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army