UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Yemeni says drones turning his neighbors into U.S. enemies

  |
 
A RQ-1 Predator from the 46th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron lands at Tallil Air Base, Iraq on Jan. 20, 2004. (UPI Photo/Suzanne M. Jenkins/AFIE)
A RQ-1 Predator from the 46th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron lands at Tallil Air Base, Iraq on Jan. 20, 2004. (UPI Photo/Suzanne M. Jenkins/AFIE) 
License photo
Published: April 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM

WASHINGTON, April 24 (UPI) -- A Yemeni man who spent time in the United States as a high school student warned Congress that drone strikes are making his neighbors anti-American.

Farea al-Muslimi testified Tuesday at a public hearing of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights called by Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill. Muslimi said a drone strike on his village last week killed a suspected militant who could easily have been detained by Yemeni security forces, The New York Times reported.

Muslimi said his neighbors' attitude toward the United States had been shaped by his telling them about the "wonderful experiences" he had as a student.

"Now, however, when they think of America, they think of the fear they feel at the drones over their heads," he said. "What the violent militants had failed to achieve, one drone strike accomplished in an instant."

The Obama administration did not supply any witnesses to defend the drone program. Martha McSally, a retired Air Force colonel who worked in the drone program, testified that drone strikes can be controlled more exactly and said civilians might also be killed in ground operations to capture militant suspects.

Topics: Richard Durbin, Barack Obama
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Shepherds guide 2,000 sheep through Madrid, Spain, and hope their attempt to save ancient herding...
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...