facebook
twitter
search
search

LAPD reaches settlement with women in Dorner case

April 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM

LOS ANGELES, April 24 (UPI) -- Two women who were injured during the manhunt for ex-Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner reached a $4.2 million settlement, officials said.

Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich said a settlement was reached between the LAPD and the women Tuesday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, 71-year-old Emma Hernandez, were delivering newspapers in Torrance Feb. 7 when Los Angeles police officers fired on their blue Toyota Tacoma. Hernandez was struck twice in the back and Carranza was injured by broken glass, the women's lawyer said.

The officers were guarding the home of a high-ranking police official named in a manifesto authorities said was written by Dorner. At the time, Dorner had killed the daughter of a police captain, her fiance -- a University of Southern California police officer -- and a Riverside, Calif., police officer, officials said.

Police thought Dorner was driving a gray Nissan Titan. An alert indicated a truck matching Dorner's was in the area where the women were delivering newspapers.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck called the shooting "a tragic misinterpretation" by officers working under "incredible tension."

Beck promised to provide a truck from a donor regardless of potential litigation by the women, the Times said. Last month, the women received $40,000 from the city to cover the loss of the truck.

Dorner died Feb. 12 in a gunfight with police at a cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains, ending a 10-day manhunt.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Charlie Beck
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev seeking new trial for Boston Marathon bombing
Shark bites Camp Lejeune Marine on North Carolina coast
Russian business magnate Alishar Usamanov makes bid to buy CTC
Widow of SKorea President Kim Dae-jung confirmed to visit Pyongyang