UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Court rejects cigarette labeling case

  |
 
Published: April 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

WASHINGTON, April 22 (UPI) -- The U.S. Supreme Court Monday refused to review a lower court ruling allowing graphic warnings on cigarette packages.

Major tobacco companies had challenged a 2009 federal law and requirements by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to put the sometimes gruesome visual warnings on cigarettes, taking up much of the surface of a pack. The companies said the regulations interfered with their free-speech rights to communicate with customers.

A panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, which has headquarters in Cincinnati, ruled last year for the government.

"There can be no doubt that the government has a significant interest in preventing juvenile smoking and in warning the general public about the harms associated with the use of tobacco products," the panel ruled narrowly, consumerist.com reported.

The companies asked the Supreme Court for review, which was denied in a one-sentence order.

However, the appeals court ruling came shortly after one by a federal judge in Washington, who ruled for the tobacco companies in a separate case.

The Wall Street Journal reported the appeals court said its ruling only involves the constitutionality of the law and the authority of the FDA, not the specific images.

The Journal said it is likely that the labels cases only will be resolved in the Supreme Court.

Topics: Food and Drug Administration
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Photoshop Gene promoting his jeans (amongst other things)
Shepherds guide 2,000 sheep through Madrid, Spain, and hope their attempt to save ancient herding...
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...