Air Force to lay off 1,000 civilian workers at 60 bases

April 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

WASHINGTON, April 18 (UPI) -- Some 1,000 civilian employees at 60 U.S. Air Force bases will be laid off in coming months because of cuts to the Defense Department budget, officials say.

The reduction-in-force is part of a personnel-slimming program begun last year and is not related to the current sequestration actions, the Air Force said in a statement released Wednesday.

The Air Force has already cut 15,000 positions from its civilian staffing to meet requirements of its fiscal 2012 budget, said Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, director of force management policy.

"Voluntary efforts to balance the civilian workforce in FY12 have gotten us significantly closer to funded levels, but we still have a way to go in placing the number of surplus employees to funded vacancies, and RIF authorities will enable us to achieve that goal," she said.

The RIF will allow many civilian employees to be placed in vacant positions and continue working with the Air Force.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Vatican: Pope's meeting with Kim Davis not a show of support
Potential male contraceptive found in study with mice
Cancer and height are linked, new study shows
Hacker may have exposed data of 15 million T-Mobile customers
Education Secretary Arne Duncan to step down in December