Harry Mann of Manns Harbor, who had been employed at the Dare County bombing range since 1968, is due to appear in court next Wednesday for allegedly conspiring with salvage business operators from 2005 to 2011 to remove scrap metal and military equipment from the range to be recycled or sold for personal gain, The (Norfolk) Virginian-Pilot reported.
The indictment filed April 3 said in 2007 or 2008, a 20-ton personnel carrier was hauled to recycling and in 2010, Mann allegedly had more than 10 tons of an aluminum runway taken away to recyclers.
The salvage business operators, Rudy Lozano and John Williams, both of Chowan County, also faced charges stemming from the scheme. Lozano is due to plead guilty on May 9. Williams pleaded guilty April 9.
Don Connelly, spokesman for U.S. Attorney Thomas Walker, said no sentencing hearings have yet been scheduled.
The three men's scheme allegedly involved Lozano and Williams paying Mann 4 cents to 7 cents per pound for the scrap metal. Much of the material was removed on weekends and at night to avoid detection.
Mann is to pay back $6.7 million, the value of the stolen goods, the indictment said. Federal agents seized $245,037 and confiscated other equipment from Mann's residence in a raid on his home in May 2011.
Britney Spears on kissing Ryan Gosling, Justin Timberlake in the Mickey Mouse Club
Man behind Doritos Locos Tacos passed away on Thanksgiving