facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Laptop starts fire in Mass. college dorm

April 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM   |   Comments

FRAMINGHAM, Mass., April 7 (UPI) -- An overheated laptop started a fire in a dorm room at a Massachusetts university in the latest of a string of laptop-related fires, officials said.

The fire started Friday when a student left the overheated computer lying unattended on a bed in a dorm room at Framingham State University, the Boston Herald reported.

No one was injured in the fire, but 90 students were displaced for the night as firefighters put out the blaze and investigated the incident, officials said.

This was the latest in a series of laptop-related fires, said State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan.

Several weeks ago, firefighters were called to a blaze in western Massachusetts that was started by a laptop.

Then, two weeks ago, a home in Milford was declared a total loss after a laptop left sitting on some cardboard started a fire.

"There clearly is a history of fire occurrence that involve laptops," Coan 
said.

At Framingham State University, administrators said they would inform their 6,000 students of the dangers of overheated laptops.

"We're going to make the students aware," said school spokesman Daniel Magazu said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Pentagon releases video of U.S. air strikes against IS
2
Amish girls allegedly lured by captors with puppy
3
Ebola fears: Senegal closes border with Guinea
4
Ahmed Davutoglu nominated as Turkey's new prime minister
5
Ten years later: Where's 'The Scream'?
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback