facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

3 New Hampshire students sustain burns

April 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM   |   Comments

DURHAM, N.H., April 7 (UPI) -- Three University of New Hampshire students were badly burned when a hot water pipe burst in a dormitory, officials at the school said.

The three female students were evacuating a first-floor hallway Saturday afternoon when they suffered the burns to their feet, a school spokeswoman said.

The Boston Herald said the hot water pipe was part of the heating system for three dorms, which were then left without heat.

Officials brought in temporary space heaters for the three dormitories, the Herald said, and crews are expected to repair the broken pipe Sunday.

The injured students, who were not identified, were taken to local hospitals and then transferred to Boston hospitals, the Herald reported.

"I was devastated to learn three of our students suffered serious burns when this pipe failed," UNH President Mark Huddleston said in a statement. "We have reached out to their families and will provide whatever assistance we can to help them through this difficult time."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
New York Post defies #ISISMediablackout with graphic James Foley cover
2
Amanda Curtis launches Montana Senate campaign after Walsh bows out
3
Oil spill reported in North Dakota
4
Top Hamas commanders killed in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza
5
Chris Christie flips at town hall attendee over Bruce Springsteen
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback