facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

3 New Hampshire students sustain burns

April 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM   |   Comments

DURHAM, N.H., April 7 (UPI) -- Three University of New Hampshire students were badly burned when a hot water pipe burst in a dormitory, officials at the school said.

The three female students were evacuating a first-floor hallway Saturday afternoon when they suffered the burns to their feet, a school spokeswoman said.

The Boston Herald said the hot water pipe was part of the heating system for three dorms, which were then left without heat.

Officials brought in temporary space heaters for the three dormitories, the Herald said, and crews are expected to repair the broken pipe Sunday.

The injured students, who were not identified, were taken to local hospitals and then transferred to Boston hospitals, the Herald reported.

"I was devastated to learn three of our students suffered serious burns when this pipe failed," UNH President Mark Huddleston said in a statement. "We have reached out to their families and will provide whatever assistance we can to help them through this difficult time."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
3
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
4
4 firefighters injured in 'Ice Bucket Challenge'
5
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback