George Harasaz, 49, and Douglas Wirth, 45, of Glastonbury, who initially had been accused by two of the boys two years ago and had pleaded no contest in January to one felony count each of risk of injury to a minor, where to have been sentenced Friday. But they withdrew their pleas after it was revealed one of the boys alleged he had been raped repeatedly and it was disclosed that three other of the adopted sons had come forward with accusations of abuse, the Hartford Courant reported.
Judge Joan Alexander called the new allegations "dramatically different and more extreme" and said a trial would be "in the interest of justice."
"The facts must be shown and must be shown publicly," she said.
Prosecution and defense attorneys agreed a trial is a better course in light of the new allegations, the newspaper said.
"I think the only proper resolution of this matter is to try it," prosecutor David Zagaja said.
"This case needs to be tried so these men can clear their names," defense attorney Hubert Santos said.
Other children in the family had defended the men and said the two boys who made the initial allegations are mentally unstable after suffering years of abuse by their biological parents and other foster parents.
Harasaz and Wirth were each set to receive a one-year suspended sentences under the now-vacated plea agreement, Courant said.
Wisconsin business offering 'therapeutic cuddling' forced to close
'SNL': 'Anchorman 2' cast, One Direction sing 'Afternoon Delight' [VIDEO]