facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Pentagon fires general from Africa Command

April 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM   |   Comments

WASHINGTON, April 5 (UPI) -- Maj. Gen. Ralph Baker became the second senior commander to be removed from the U.S. Africa Command in less than six months, defense officials said.

Baker, a two-star general, was dismissed last week as commander of Joint Task Force -- Horn of Africa, CNN reported Friday. Military officials said he is appealing the decision.

Three defense officials said the reason for Baker's firing was a loss of confidence in his handling of the job.

Gen. William "Kip" Ward was dismissed as head of the Africa Command, deprived of one of his four stars and forced into retirement five months ago, the CNN report said.

Ward had been under fire for excessive spending on personal items like shopping sprees for his wife and a lavish vacation, and for allowing a defense contractor to introduce him to Oscar-winning actor Denzel Washington during a backstage visit, the report said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
High-ranking Chicago police officer charged with putting gun in man's mouth
2
Putin mocks trapped Ukrainian soldiers, urges rebels to release them
3
Federal judge strikes down polygamy ban in Utah
4
Dairy Queen hit by Backoff malware breach
5
Islamic State claims mass execution of 250 Syrian soldiers
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback