UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Ex-Gov. Sanford ready for his comeback

|
 
Published: April 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C., April 1 (UPI) -- Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, whose second term is notable for a sex scandal, holds the edge heading into Tuesday's Republican congressional runoff.

Attorney Curtis Bostic, who was a distant second to Sanford in the party preliminary March 19, may have high-profile backing but political observers told The Hill it may be too little too late.

Former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., stumped with Bostic last week and conservative commentator Ann Coulter also endorsed him.

"It's Sanford's to win -- he's a professional politician and knows how to run a race," said Katon Dawson, a former leader of the South Carolina Republican Party.

The winner of Tuesday's runoff will face Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch in the May 7 special election, called after Rep. Tim Scott, a Republican, was appointed to the Senate to replace Jim DeMint, who resigned to lead the Heritage Foundation.

Sanford, 52, was a two-term governor when in June 2009, after saying he was going hiking on the Appalachian Trail, publicly revealed he had engaged in an affair with Maria Belen Chapur, an Argentine woman. He was censured by the state General Assembly following an ethics investigation into allegations he misused state travel funds to conduct his affair but avoided impeachment.

Topics: Mark Sanford, Rick Santorum, Ann Coulter, Katon Dawson, Tim Scott, Jim DeMint
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...