DENVER, April 1 (UPI) -- Colorado health officials are calling for so-called safety packaging for marijuana after several instances of children ingesting the drug.
Children's Hospital Colorado said it had not seen a child who ingested pot accidentally even once from 2005 to 2009. After the state legalized medicinal marijuana that number jumped to 14 cases, frequently involving children eating tantalizing "edibles" such as pot brownies or gummy worms.
With the state preparing to allow recreational marijuana to be legal, health officials are sounding the alarm.
"We've seen a dramatic increase in pediatric exposure," said Dr. George Wang, a Children's ER doctor who also works with Denver Health's Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center.
The question is whether every type of marijuana sold should be put in tamper-proof containers, The Denver Post said Monday.
"They'll have to buy so much tamper-proof packaging that people will just make it themselves at home," said Robin Hackett, co-owner of Botana Care, a medical-marijuana store in Northglenn. "The challenge is with a pound of butter and some cannabis, anybody can make edibles."
Pro-marijuana advocates favored lockboxes or locking plastic bags over individual packaging they say will cause landfill problems and cost too much.