facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

N.Y. sets new search for Sept. 11 victims

March 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, March 30 (UPI) -- New York officials say crews will sift through hundreds of yards of debris in another attempt to locate human remains from the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

About 590 cubic yards of material will be searched, most of which was only recently removed from an area known as the Vehicle Security Center at the World Trade Center, CNN reported Friday.

This is the latest attempt to find human remains from the tragedy since the discovery of possible remains in a manhole in October 2006 revived efforts. Since then, 34 victims have been identified.

Of the 2,753 men and women killed in the attacks, 1,634 have been identified.

Workers will look through the debris during a 10-week operation on Staten Island, WNBC-TV, New York, reported.

The medical examiner's office will analyze any human remains found to see if they can be identified as victims of the attack.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Great white shark circling surfers photographed by drone Great white shark circling surfers photographed by drone
2
Jessica Arrendale dies shielding daughter from boyfriend with gun Jessica Arrendale dies shielding daughter from boyfriend with gun
3
Poland buys medium-range missiles from U.S. Poland buys medium-range missiles from U.S.
4
Virgin America plane diverted after man tries to open cabin door Virgin America plane diverted after man tries to open cabin door
5
Caitlyn Kovacs' death likely 'alcohol-related,' prosecutor says Caitlyn Kovacs' death likely 'alcohol-related,' prosecutor says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback