SoCal man accused of shooting officer

March 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM

FULLERTON, Calif., March 19 (UPI) -- A man who allegedly opened fire on a police officer during the weekend had been acquitted of attempted murder two weeks earlier, California prosecutors said.

Marcos Bush, 29, was back in custody on $1 million bail Tuesday awaiting arraignment on a new charge of attempted murder for allegedly firing several rounds at a Fullerton police officer who escaped death because he was wearing a bulletproof vest.

The reputed gang member faces 60 years in prison if convicted. Bush had been acquitted March 6 of attempted murder in a 2010 robbery case in which he was accused of shooting at the victim and then beating him with a metal pipe, the Orange County District Attorney's office said in a written statement.

Bush was arrested again for allegedly firing at the Fullerton officer during an early-morning traffic stop. The officer was wounded in the leg, but his vest stopped a bullet that hit him in the chest.

Bush allegedly fired several more rounds into the air and at nearby homes as the car sped off, the statement said.

Bush was located later in the day at an apartment in Anaheim. A young woman was also arrested while driving the suspect vehicle, allegedly while on a mission to ditch the car.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Pepsi to release 'Back to the Future Part II' inspired Pepsi Perfect
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'