ORLANDO, Fla., March 18 (UPI) -- University of Central Florida police found a cache of weapons and bombs while investigating the apparent suicide of a student in a dorm, the university said.
FBI and other law enforcement officials were making sure the explosive devices in the man's room could be removed safely, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
The campus would be closed Monday while police investigated the man's death and the devices found in Tower 1 residence hall, the university said on its website.
"UCF has closed the main campus for classes and normal operations until noon," the post said. "Essential personnel should report to work, but other employees are asked to stay off campus until noon. All classes scheduled to start before noon today are canceled."
The post said UCF police received a fire-alarm call at 12:20 a.m. Monday from the residence hall and officers, while responding, got a 911 report about a man with a gun.
Supreme Court to hear age-bias case
WASHINGTON, March 18 (UPI) -- The U.S. Supreme Court agreed Monday to decide whether state and local public employees may file age-bias lawsuits on constitutional grounds.
Illinois officials told the high court an appeals ruling allowing the suits using the Constitution's equal protection clause and federal civil rights law conflicts with rulings from other appeals courts in the country, and allows employees to avoid filing under the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
The case was brought by Harvey Levin, who was employed as an assistant Illinois attorney general from September 2000 to his termination, along with 11 other attorneys, in May 2006. Levin was 55 at the time, and he was replaced by a woman in her 30s.
A federal judge ruled that Levin's claim under civil rights law was not precluded by the provisions in ADEA. When a federal appeals court ruled that Levin's civil rights constitutional claim survived, Illinois officials asked the Supreme Court for review, which was granted in a one-line order Monday.
Vote on Cyprus rescue delayed
NICOSIA, Cyprus, March 18 (UPI) -- Cyprus Parliament Speaker Yiannakis Omirou said a vote on a $13 billion European Union bailout for the country's banks would be delayed until Tuesday.
The controversial bailout proposal that includes a tax levied on bank deposits has become the focus of investors in Europe and the United States, sending stocks lower.
To secure the deal, Cyprus has agreed to raise $5.8 billion from bank depositors, in part because banks in Cyprus are allegedly tainted with large deposits from Russian criminals.
It is the first time a European Union bailout has included levying a tax on bank accounts, which has made it difficult for Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades to round up support for the bill among the country's 56 members of Parliament, The New York Times reported.
The latest proposal includes a tax of 3 percent on deposits of $129,633 or less, a tax of 10 percent on accounts between $129,633 and $648,165, and a tax of 15 percent on accounts larger than that, The Wall Street Journal said.
Nigeria won't pay ransom for hostages
ABUJA, Nigeria, March 18 (UPI) -- Nigeria will not pay a ransom to the militant group Boko Haram for the release of seven kidnapped French nationals, four of them children, an official said.
The hostages were taken by members of the Nigerian radical Islamic group last month in Cameroon near the northeastern border with Nigeria, Radio France Internationale reported.
Four of the hostages are under the age of 12, the report said.
"As part of our own policy, we don't pay ransom to terrorists," said Nigerian Foreign Minister Olugbenga Ashiru. "We cannot divulge information or detail. We need to be both determined and discreet."
An eighth person from France, an engineer, is also being held captive by Boko Haram -- in Nigeria's northern Katsina state. He was kidnapped in December.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius met with Nigerian President Jonathan Goodluck to discuss the abductions.
U.S. troops face new rules after brawls
SEOUL, March 18 (UPI) -- U.S. soldiers in South Korea are facing tighter restrictions, including a ban on drinking, after several weekend incidents of misconduct, officials said Monday.
Maj. Gen. Edward Cardon, commander of the 2nd Infantry Division, said the new rules were being put in place because the actions of 10 soldiers "have undermined the overall readiness of the command and impacted our relationship with our Korean neighbors," the Stars and Stripes reported.
Cardon's restrictions include suspension of alcohol consumption, termination of all three-and four-day weekend passes, reviews of soldiers involved in past misconduct and leadership seminars focused on discipline and division readiness.
One U.S. soldier was hospitalized with stab wounds after he and four other service members got into a brawl with the manager of nightclub in the city of Dongducheon outside the base early Saturday morning. Three of the other soldiers received minor injuries, the newspaper said.
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]