UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Sequester forces Border Protection cuts

|
 
Published: March. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

WASHINGTON, March 8 (UPI) -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection says it has notified about 60,000 employees responsible for securing borders and faciliting trade of impending furloughs.

The agency must cut about $754 million from its budget by Sept. 30 as part of the automatic government spending cuts known as the sequester.

David Aguilar, the agency's deputy commissioner, said it will make the cuts with agency-wide furloughs, a hiring freeze and reducing or eliminating overtime, compensatory time, travel and training, CNN reported.

Employees were notified Thursday of the changes.

The furloughs will begin in mid-April, the agency said.

The agency "continues to evaluate further impacts of sequestration" on its operations, Customs spokeswoman Jenny Burke said.

"Even with these cuts, though, individuals apprehended illegally crossing the southwest border will still be processed as usual," she said.

Other agencies are making similar cuts to reduce their budgets.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said early in the week she expects customs "wait times" to increase by 150 to 200 percent.

"I don't mean to scare, I mean to inform. If you're traveling, get to the airport earlier than you otherwise would. There's only so much we can do with personnel," Napolitano said.

The National Treasury Employees Union, which represents about 24,000 Customs and Border Protection workers, says the staff reductions will undercut national security.

"There is no escaping the reality that sequestration is having serious effects on the traveling public and on vital commerce," said Colleen M. Kelley, the union's president.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...
I smuggled a turtle
ಌ Maybe everything isn't hopeless bullshiat ಌ
Zuckerberg's attempts to make us all bow to the Facebook Mobile Phone Overlords are met with a resounding,...
It's confirmed, the TCNJ student that last month left her purse for identification on the George...
Fark Food Thread: How do you make the most of seasonal fruit? Is there a recipe you wait all year...