UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.S. releases immigration detainees

|
 
Published: Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

WASHINGTON, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- Hundreds of people have been granted supervised release from immigration detention because of impending budget cuts, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

Gillian Christensen, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said those released have not committed serious crimes and are not considered dangerous to public safety, The New York Times reported. She said the releases have been under way for several days.

The automatic across-the-board budget cuts known as sequestration are scheduled to kick in Friday if President Obama and House Republicans fail to reach a fiscal compromise. Rep. Robert Goodlatte, R-Va., chair of the House Judiciary Committee, accused the administration of playing politics with public safety.

"It's abhorrent that President Obama is releasing criminals into our communities to promote his political agenda on sequestration," Goodlatte said. "By releasing criminal immigrants onto the streets, the administration is needlessly endangering American lives."

Christensen said ICE has "to make the best use of limited detention resources." While officials would not say how candidates for release have been selected, they said those released were "low-priority detainees," which includes juveniles, the elderly and long-term residents of the United States.

Topics: Barack Obama
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...
I smuggled a turtle
ಌ Maybe everything isn't hopeless bullshiat ಌ
Zuckerberg's attempts to make us all bow to the Facebook Mobile Phone Overlords are met with a resounding,...
It's confirmed, the TCNJ student that last month left her purse for identification on the George...
Fark Food Thread: How do you make the most of seasonal fruit? Is there a recipe you wait all year...